Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
简介Controversy has arisen over whether visiting Seoul's popular nightlife district Itaewon to cele ...
Controversy has arisen over whether visiting Seoul's popular nightlife district Itaewon to celebrate Halloween this year is acceptable, as the one-year anniversary of the crowd crush that took the lives of 159 mostly young people approaches.
On Sunday, an online community post posed the question: "Is going to Itaewon this Halloween a thoughtless act?" The post presented two options -- "It's thoughtless" and "No problem at all" -- soon sparking fervent discussion with hundreds of comments.
While there were several reactions of concern over enjoying Halloween in Itaewon, the general consensus leaned toward the notion that visiting Itaewon for this year's holiday would be acceptable. However, many emphasized the importance of commemorating the Itaewon tragedy and being cautious of each other's safety, rather than solely indulging in Halloween festivities.
On the opposing side, some expressed that they would not go to Itaewon for Halloween, suggesting alternative venues and locales for revelers. The most-liked comment about going to Itaewon to enjoy Halloween was: "Do you really have to?"
Meanwhile, some argued that there is no problem with visiting Itaewon, as local businesses rely on the Halloween festivities for their livelihood. Others believed that avoiding Itaewon might have a negative impact on the local economy and suggested a balance between enjoying and commemorating in the area. As an area known for foreign restaurants and bars, Itaewon has long been the center of Halloween celebrations in Korea.
Many also stressed the need for enhanced safety measures to prevent repeat occurrences of such incidents and to create a harmonious atmosphere between commemoration and celebration.
Late in the evening of Oct. 29, 2022, throngs of people became concentrated in a small alleyway leading to the main street, eventually forming a crowd crush that resulted in 159 deaths and 196 injuries. Audits and investigations of the tragedy have since revealed failures at many levels, from prevention to the emergency response.
This year, the Seoul Metropolitan Government has prepared various safety measures to prevent similar incidents, including an overcrowding monitoring system that uses surveillance cameras to automatically measure the number of people in an area and analyze crowd density.
Additionally, the city government has established disaster safety monitoring centers in each district that will operate at all times. By the end of this year, the city plans to install 909 crowd-detection surveillance cameras at 71 locations throughout Seoul that could be susceptible to overcrowding.
Youngjae of the K-pop boy group GOT7 is returning to the music scene with his first solo full-length ...
North Korea has stipulated the policy of strengthening its nuclear force in the constitution at a ke ...
The state-run Korea Post said Tuesday that Rep. Cho Hae-keun of the ruling People Power Party has be ...
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- Memorials commemorating Itaewon crowd crush to be erected at accident site
- 2023 LoL World Championship to entertain esports fans
- 김영호 통일장관 “북러 군사 무기거래 깊이 우려…불법행위 중단하라”
- Number of deaths in cycling accidents soars
- S. Korea to extend $5 mil worth of fertilizer aid to Ukraine via U.S. agency
Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
S. Korea wins gold in League of Legends competition; Faker tops podium
S. Korean industry minister visits Africa for World Expo bid, economic ties
S. Korea in contention for team medal in women's golf
One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
김정은, 19일 저녁 평양 도착…北매체 "불멸의 대외 혁명활동"
- 문 정부, 셀트리온에 코로나 R&D 예산 522억 몰아줬다
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- 문 정부, 셀트리온에 코로나 R&D 예산 522억 몰아줬다
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- 尹 “하마스 무차별 공격 규탄”...척 슈머 등 美 상원 대표단 접견
- [HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
- [Herald Interview] Monte
- Hanwha at forefront of Korea’s space leadership
- More webtoon
- [HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
- NK leader sends congratulatory message to Xi on Chinese founding anniversary
- Chuseok food cost hits all
- [Bills in Focus] Eased land use within industrial complexes, tackling faulty construction
- Opposition leader proposes meeting with Yoon amid growing party feud
- S. Korea in contention for team medal in women's golf
- [Korea Beyond Korea] ‘More cross
- With teammate's help, inconsolable shooter regroups in time to win bronze
- 김정은, 19일 저녁 평양 도착…北매체 "불멸의 대외 혁명활동"
- 탈북민단체, 대북전단 20만장 살포…"더 많은 정보, 계속 보낼 것"
- N.Korea could use nuclear weapons at any stage of conflict: Pentagon