163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
简介More than 160 South Korean nationals arrived home from Israel aboard a military aircraft late Saturd ...
More than 160 South Korean nationals arrived home from Israel aboard a military aircraft late Saturday, the foreign ministry said, after an armed clash broke out between the Jewish state and the Palestinian Hamas group.
A KC-330 military transport plane carrying 163 South Koreans landed at Seoul Air Base in Seongnam, just south of Seoul, at 10:45 p.m., the ministry said.
The plane flew to Israel on Friday and departed from Tel Aviv early Saturday.
The plane also brought 51 Japanese and six Singaporean nationals, as part of Seoul's efforts to provide humanitarian cooperation, the ministry added.
It marked the first such transportation of South Koreans by a military plane and the second flight to bring South Koreans home from Israel following the return of 192 people aboard a Korean Air plane Wednesday.
The government decided to dispatch the military plane as air carriers increasingly suspended flight operations to and from Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv amid the intensifying conflict, officials said.
Japanese Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa and Koichi Mizushima, Japan's top envoy to Israel, expressed gratitude to the South Korean government for the emergency transportation of its people, according to Seoul's foreign ministry.
Of the 163 people on board, 82 were short-term travelers, while the rest were residents.
About 470 South Koreans remain in Israel. Most of them are residents living there long-term and have chosen to stay behind of their own accord, a foreign ministry official said, adding the diplomatic mission there continues to advise them to leave the area for safety.
Roughly 630 South Koreans had been staying in Israel before the military plane took the people aboard.
No South Korean casualties have been reported since the conflict began.
A rapid response team consisting of foreign ministry officials also boarded the military plane to assist with the transportation, the ministry said. (Yonhap)
10·11 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패로 예고된 대로 집권여당과 용산에 대한 민심이 일주일도 안 돼 싸늘해졌다. 특히 수도권 민심 이탈이 심각했다. 16일 공개된 정치 고관여층이 ...
제1 야당 대표 체포동의안 표결은 팽팽한 긴장감 속에서 진행됐다. 21일 오후 국회 본회의장에 들어선 더불어민주당 의원들은 서로의 마음을 확인하려는 듯 삼삼오오 모여 이야기를 나눴 ...
9월 셋째 주 주요뉴스 키워드는 #통계조작 #조국 #최강인 의원직상실 #정유정 계획범죄 인정 #세수 펑크 #이재명 체포동의안 가결 #미국ㆍ이란 수김자 맞교환 #윤 대통령 UN총회 ...
- 김웅 "국민은 바꾸라는데 단결만 얘기…의총 뭐하러 하느냐"
- S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
- Discussions on need for dialogue on N. Korea denuclearization diminish in US: ambassador
- [Coffee Klatch] Take a sip of Turkish coffee in Seoul
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- 'Scent of Ink' to be performed at Kennedy Center in Washington
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
- Daegu’s iconic opera festival set to attract operagoers with five tragic operas
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- Seoul condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel
- LG Electronics ups Q3 earnings guidance on upbeat demand
- In S. Korea, Hamas ambush raises concerns over NK surprise attacks
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- Uncertainties remain for Samsung, SK after US eases export controls
- 尹대통령 지지율, 1.1%p 내린 38.9% [알앤써치]
- Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
- [Photo News] Housing solutions in Asia
- YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”