First lady meets haenyeo, expresses respect, gratitude
简介First lady Kim Keon Hee met with a small group of haenyeo -- female divers from Jeju Island who have ...
First lady Kim Keon Hee met with a small group of haenyeo -- female divers from Jeju Island who have traditionally harvested by hand mollusks and seaweed from the sea for a living – in Jongdal-li, Gujwa-eup, Jeju Island, Friday, and expressed respect and gratitude to them for maintaining the tradition despite difficult conditions.
About 10 people attended the meeting, including some who have been diving in Jeju for decades and others who recently came to Jeju from Seoul to learn how to become haenyeo.
Kim listened to stories of how haenyeo have tried to maintain their traditional work and culture while introducing them to young generations. Stories were shared by the CEO of Haenyeo's Kitchen, a restaurant that combines performances by haenyeo and seafood harvested by them, and two young women who came to Jeju Island from Seoul because they were attracted to the haenyeo lifestyle.
Jeju's haenyeo are designated National Intangible Cultural Heritage no. 132 and Important Fisheries Heritage no. 1, while their culture is inscribed in UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
10·11 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패로 예고된 대로 집권여당과 용산에 대한 민심이 일주일도 안 돼 싸늘해졌다. 특히 수도권 민심 이탈이 심각했다. 16일 공개된 정치 고관여층이 ...
SEONGNAM, Gyeonggi Province — South Korea's premier aerospace and defense exhibition, aimed at ...
Seoul's Daehangno district was brimming with visitors on Sunday for the opening of "2023 Welcom ...
- Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
- S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
Seoul shares open higher on US gains
[Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
[view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- [Our Museums] Explore cinematic treasures at Korean Film Museum
- Human rights commission urges Korea to abolish death penalty
- Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- [From the scene] Eye
- Daegu’s iconic opera festival set to attract operagoers with five tragic operas
- Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
- 120,000 more public homes to be supplied by this year
- New teachers’ manual bans recording devices in classrooms
- House ownership widens wealth gap between young and old
- “김정은 두만강역 통해 귀국…조로관계 발전 새로운 장”
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- “러시아 공군기, 평양 도착…북러 간 접촉 활발”
- Nam June Paik Art Center to be led by new director Park Nam
- Do professors in Korea have too much power over students?
- 민주당 새 원내대표에 친명 홍익표 “이재명과 총선 승리”
- Trilateral talks open on Korea
- XG storms back with 'New DNA'
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history