Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
简介This week's satellite imagery showed a "dramatic" surge in rail traffic along the border betwee ...
This week's satellite imagery showed a "dramatic" surge in rail traffic along the border between North Korea and Russia, a US monitor said Friday, amid concerns about possible arms transfers following last month's summit between the two countries.
Citing imagery captured on Thursday, Beyond Parallel, a project of the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies, reported an "unprecedented" number of freight railcars totaling roughly 73 in number at Tumangang Rail Station in Rason, a North Korean border city with Russia.
The level of traffic is far greater than what the project has observed at the facility during the past five years, even compared to pre-pandemic levels, it said.
The development comes in the wake of a rare summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Russian President Vladimir Putin last month. The summit raised speculation that it might have led to a deal feared to help advance North Korea's weapons development and in return prop up Russia's war in Ukraine.
"Given that Kim and Putin discussed some military exchanges and cooperation at their recent summit, the dramatic increase in rail traffic likely indicates North Korea's supply of arms and munitions to Russia," the project said in a report.
"However, the extensive use of tarps to cover the shipping crates/containers and equipment makes it impossible to conclusively identify what is seen at the Tumangang Rail Facility," it added.
On Thursday, broadcaster CBS reported that the North began transferring artillery to Russia as Moscow continues its war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have criticized any possible transfer of arms between Pyongyang and Moscow, warning they would flout multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions, which Russia itself voted for. (Yonhap)
By Yoo Hee-dong“Your task is not to foresee the future, but to enable it.” This is the message impar ...
In Sophie Compton and Reuben Hamlyn’s new documentary “Another Body,” a 23-year-old engineering stud ...
When the grip of summer loosens and the air turns cooler, Koreans pay particular attention to the pr ...
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
"가리비 8m 천장까지 쌓였다"…단 한달만에 日 타격 입힌 中
[Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
- House ownership widens wealth gap between young and old
- [Herald Interview] 'UN peacekeeping forces need better gender equity'
- Revamped Genesis GV80 and first coupe sibling unveiled
- [Herald Interview] Forever is not impossible: Oneus aspires to global reach with 'La Dolce Vita'
- [사진] 영장심사 마친 이재명, 묵묵부답
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- Chief justice seat at top court left vacant amid Assembly chaos
- Seoul shares snap 4
- 보란듯 제재 무시하며 국제법 준수?…김정은 활용하는 푸틴의 속내는
- Seoul streets transform to open stage for Seoul Street Arts Festival
- [Herald Interview] When ‘comedy freak’ filmmaker makes rom
- Jarasum Jazz Fest to kick off Friday
- SK invests in US data specialist Glassdome
- Doosan Robotics shares debut at double IPO price
- Hyundai Ioniq 7 may start production in July next year
- Sunmi to return with new digital single ‘Stranger’
- Hanwha seeks bigger presence in burgeoning global robotics market
- Fifty Fifty’s agency, Attrakt, files W1b compensation claim against The Givers
- [Book Review] 'The Korean Wave in a Post
- 與, 김행 여가장관 후보 청문회 불참 기류…"일방적이고 위법적"
- Seoraksan cools below freezing as autumn takes hold
- Samsung Biologics raises annual estimated earnings to W3.6t
- 사전투표 D
- TVXQ to release 9th LP on Dec. 26, marking 20th anniversary
- Wavve’s ‘The Deal’ to expand into 200 countries
- Where is Blackpink headed?